Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy keeps scratching it's wound open on it's left front…

My puppy keeps scratching...

My puppy keeps scratching it's wound open on it's left front shoulder blade, how can I prevent her from continuing to reopen her enlarging wound. My local vet has me keeping it hydrated but also to put a tshirt on her to keep her from being able to scratch it, however no matter what I put on she eventually sometimes in a few minutes scratches through it now that she is 5 mos old, she has had this injury since she was found by her mother's owners under a shed when she was 4weeks old we have been trying to heal it for months she no longer has any infection there, but it's like every time she has a big growth spurt it reopens and then becomes painful and itchy again. We have tried to put gauze pads over it, and use medical elastic tape used for horse wraps to try to keep it in place but that only lasts through one or 2 hours depending on whether she and her sister are running around much or just laying around. Is there some kind of specific thing I could use to actually keep this wound clean, and hydrated yet protected for longer periods of time. Part of the problem is the ability for the wound to breathe or get air, so bandaging is not recommended by my vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

She is a mutt 1/2 lab and 1/2 Border collie, both of the parents are registered, but of course they weren't supposed to be bred, it was a case of an accident where the lab had gotten away and run to the neighbors where the collie was out guarding their chickens and horses. This pup is more border collie, than lab in her energy and herding instinct compared to her sister who's lazier and more lab like, but even though she isn't as large as her sister, she's still over 25 lbs and has larger claws which is why it's so hard to keep her from reopening and enlarging her sore since she is a bigger dog and not some small toy animal, we keep her nails clipped as close as we can but they are stronger than her skin so clipping them doesn't help as much as it could with a smaller breed dog. Also her name is Coco. I think that's all unless the vet has questions I can answer.

3/11/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry for the situation that you are in right now. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
honestly it sounds like you are doing everything that you can to cover the wound... Using gauze pads, t-shirt Etc. It seems as though there has to be a different approach at this point since that is not working. I would still continue to cover it with a t-shirt and pads if possible or use a thicker shirt without her getting overheated. I think since that approach is not working alone, I would now try to do something to cover her back Paws to prevent her nails from scratching the wound open. I would invest in some little boots for her. They make some great dog booties that have Velcro on them to hopefully prevent the pet from pulling them off. They obviously are much softer and if she does try to scratch she shouldn't open the wound as long as she has the booties on. I think the combination of the booties and the shirt and time should hopefully allow the wound the opportunity to heal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will try that, is that the only thing you can think of? Is there something like the elastic bandage my dad and grandson have used that keeps them from pulling out or monkeying with their pic lines in the case of my dad and the line my grandson had on both his feet and arm when he had his surgeries after birth? like wraps but like wrappings used for sprains etc? Maybe something that I could cut a hole in to keep a gauze on the actual wound? I had two old elastic wraps of my son's but even after cutting and resewing they aren't wide enough to go around her without being too tight and cutting off her circulation.
As far as wrapping it all depends on where the lesion is and the type of product you're using to wrap it with. Obviously I get nervous about advising people to wrap things because I worry about it being too tight and causing more irritation to the area. Obviously using a soft wrap material with gauze over the wound may end up helping as well. It can be a little tricky in the shoulder area you almost have to do like a figure 8 in front of the leg and behind the leg in order for it to stay in place while the dog is moving. You have to be so careful not to wrap it too tired to cause irritation to other areas and not to keep it covered too long. Obviously with most wounds it's better to have them air out then it is to have them covered. It usually enables them to heal a bit faster if they are open. That's a nice thing about using a shirt is it's a bit more breathable but keeps the area somewhat protected.
You can always you can always try to send me a picture too. That might help me make some more recommendations. If you are satisfied with my assistant a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week, so please keep me posted on how things are going. I think protecting the area and protecting her paws are going to be the most thorough approach. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** in this spot is very difficult which is why I am trying to find a better combination of deterrents, I really do worry about wrapping it too tight with the horse wrap, which is why the gauze moves all when she was smaller it was much easier to handle her while trying to wrap over and under and around, her belly, neck, and barrel while making sure it wasn't constricting her breathing, blood flow, or restrict her movement. That was why I'm trying to find something like a soft harness or thundershirt which could be put on and adjusted to her size, not sure if any vet has actually had to deal with this problem as my vet had never heard of chickens pecking the pups before, but we are pretty sure by the sores on her siblings that the reason they were put under the shed was because of hen pecking or possible rooster spurring, there were no bite marks and all the holes on all the pups were round, Chanel her sister has multiple scars on her head to prove it and her brothers also show signs but none seemed to have been pecked as sharply or in such an easily reached spot for the pup to constantly stress the original wound. I will try to take a picture once my husband returns from the store to pick up booties, and send it on to show you. Thanks for talking to me about this, it's just become an unsolvable issue in our family as our sons and their wives worry that we are making the puppy suffer, after all the rest of her siblings sores healed in a short time with nothing other than bald spots to prove where they were attacked as pups.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian