Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is having trouble with balance. He’s about 6 months…

My dog is having...

My dog is having trouble with balance. He’s about 6 months old and he’s shaking his head like rocking it back and for seeming involuntary and when the tv made a loud noise he cried as if he was in pain. He also threw up lastnight but I didn’t notice the other symptoms. He has done this a few times in the last few months but it seems to go away, but he’s never cried as if he was hurt before

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, not that I know of. It was just his dog food that he threw up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?

No I think that’s it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about Cooper. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant his head rocking seemed to be involuntary
anytime we have an issue with balance or head-shaking we have to focus on the inner and outer ear. The first thing would be trying to determine if there is an ear infection of any kind. Dogs have a very long ear canal and so sometimes everything will look good on the surface but there's actually an ear infection present down near the eardrum. If there is a significant enough ear infection this can effect balance and can certainly cause shaking. Now sometimes we examine these dogs and there is no evidence of infection. In those cases there can be an inner ear infection located beyond the eardrum. These dogs will see him off balance, sometimes you nauseated and me have unusual signs of head tilt or shaking. The problem with this situation is since he has had some symptoms in the past, it would be very wise to have him examine to make sure there's nothing else going on. Sometimes these dogs can have neurologic symptoms to but you have to rule out any type of ear infection if possible. If he has a balance problem and it's causing signs of motion sickness and vomiting then sometimes Benadryl can help. If you provide me his weight I can give you the dose of Benadryl that can help with nausea associated with inner ear problems. You can also give some Pepcid AC which can help with stomach upset as well.
these dogs will seem off balance, sometimes be nauseated and have unusual signs of head tilting.Sorry for the autocorrect
Like I said I would certainly recommend that he be examined to be sure that there's nothing else going on. Also in young dogs they can sometimes get a foreign object lodged down in their ear canal which can cause recurring issues. Do you have a veterinarian that you trust that you could take him to tomorrow?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I can take him to a vet tomorrow. It just scared me when he started whining as if in pain. I’m not sure of his weight. I’d say probably 10-12 pounds. Thankyou for the feedback.
if you want to try the Benadryl it certainly will not hurt him. His dose would be quite small since he is a little guy. He would get 12 mg every 12 hours. Adult Benadryl is 25mg so you can give him a half of a tablet every 12 hours. Don't give any human products for pain as these can either be quite irritating to the stomach or toxic. Especially because we don't know what the problem is we shouldn't try to over medicate. If you feel like he does have stomach upset and you want to try the Pepcid AC you can give 2.5 mg every 12 hours. You can get this pill in 10 mg tablets and give a fourth of a tablet twice a day. These are some suggestions that should help you get to it tomorrow. It would be valuable to have them evaluated. So many times I look at the external ear canal and everything looks normal and then I use my otoscope and I find disease near the eardrum. Please keep me posted on how he's doing. If you have any additional questions during the day I will be on the site intermittently so please send me a question if anything changes. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5-star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for a week so please keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou for your help! It is very appreciated.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian