Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pomeranian is about 10 and he has been having night

My Pomeranian is about...

My Pomeranian is about 10 and he has been having night seizures about three or four times monthly for the past 6 months. It typically happens when he is laying on his left side, He will begin yelping, urinate on himself and I have to pat him and rub him till he sits up. I have had to actually stand him up several times then he just sort of walks it off and is ok. Today he coughed about four times and just went down then he was yelping and it took a bit longer before he recovered. He has been sleeping a lot but when it is walk time he is active and bouncy, we walk the same route every day . He has had a dryish cough for quite some time and he sneezes a lot. He isn’t overweight but he has lost a coup,e of teeth, I wonder if he is in pain when the seizure hits but he just seems kind of out of it for about 30 minutes after one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Teddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

Not really, he is about 5 lbs.

3/11/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Teddy. You appear to be describing complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these event and for just what you witnessed. Teddy's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Teddy suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy.

His coughing is most likely unrelated to his seizures. Collapsing trachea (windpipe) is a very common cause of coughing in Poms. Other considerations at his age are chronic sterile bronchitis and advanced cardiovascular disorders. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.