Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I feed raw and have a dog with a "sensitivity" to chicken.

I feed raw and...

I feed raw and have a dog with a "sensitivity" to chicken. I'm considering a new product that has chicken organ in it. Can I expect him to react the same way to the organ as he does to he meat? Thanks. Patricia

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Chicken makes him itchy with small bumps in his groin area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't hurt. He gets itchy about an hour after he eats chicken. Can I expect that to happen with the chicken organ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Rye and he's 10. Doberman Pinscher

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rye?

Don't think so. No other protein issues that I know of. He's been on raw for 9 years. I realized the chicken issue about 3 years ago so have stayed away from it since then. He just had a vet check up a month ago and was given a clean bill of health. I do titers.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to answer this concern about Rye's diet although I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response.

If Rye has a chicken allergy or sensitivity to chicken, then I would expect that any part of the animal may trigger a reaction regardless which part of the animal is fed. Organs or other body parts are still "chicken" if that makes sense. In fact, I'd try and avoid feeding other animal parts with "feathers" altogether such as turkey or duck since many of these chicken-allergic patients may also react to them, too.

Of course, some dogs may be more "sensitive" than others which means that some can handle small quantities without an adverse reaction; however, the only way you'll know for sure if Rey is one of those dogs is to include a small amount of chicken organs into what you're currently feeding him and see if he becomes itchy.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you for your response. We're on the same page and that makes me feel confident with how I'm feeding. Regards. Patricia

Patricia,

My pleasure; glad that great minds think alike:)

And, thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Take care, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
We’re doing just fine. Thanks for the check back

Glad to hear it:) Deb