Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 7 year old Bichon has vomiting and diarrhea. This happen…

Our 7 year old...

Our 7 year old Bichon has vomiting and diarrhea. This happen in the night last night and has continues today. There is no blood. This is very unusual that he would soil in the house. Trip to the vet in the AM?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Bichon eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Bichon's name and age?

Bootsie is 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Bichon?

Nothing unusual.

3/11/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would also give Metamucil, 1 capsule on the food once a day to help with the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian