Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie has a UTI, he's 13 lbs, 16 yrs. I can't get him to…

Customer Question
My Yorkie has a...

My Yorkie has a UTI, he's 13 lbs, 16 yrs. I can't get him to vet but I have amoxicillin 500 caplets on hand, can I give him this and what dosage? He hasn't felt good for about 3 days and has wet on floor (which he never does) it seems he can't control it. Today he hasn't drank or eaten anything all day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Buster

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?

If this is possible, could I dissolve it and use an eye dropper? He's a terrible pill taker.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he is very uncomfortable and off food with this, we do need to tread with care as this may not just be a UTI (there could be a bladder stone, urine crystal issues, bladder tumor, kidney infection, etc). Therefore, to be safe you may want to see if his local vet will squeeze him in, allow a drop off appointment or meet you half way to get Buster sorted here. Especially as you may struggle to dose him with the noted medication. This is because a dog this size would only need a dose of 65-130mg of Amoxicillin every 12 hours for 7-10 days. So, you can try to dose that and it can be dissolved into water to give orally with a dropper. But if you find he isn't improving, doesn't start eating, or struggle at all to give a dose that small then we would want him seen to be safe and to make sure those other issues aren't underlying and needing us to address them for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you when you own vet cannot, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**