Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is coughing. I have given her some benadryl and had some…

She is coughing. I...

She is coughing. I have given her some benadryl and had some Clavamox left from last time she had this issue. I wondered if they could be taken together?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 12 years old and is a 55lb lab mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Molly?

12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

No, not that I know of.

3/11/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. To answer your questions, you can give Benadryl and Clavamox together. The dose for the Benadryl for a dog her size would be around 50 mg every 12 hours as needed for the cough.

Ok, thanks! How about the Clavamox?

For the Clavamox it should be around 375 mg every 12 hours, usually they come in about that size tablets.

Ok, thanks. It seens the tablets I have are 125mg so would I give 3 every 12 hours or should I wait and go to her veterinarian on Monday?

You can start her on the Clavamox and get her to the vet on Monday as long as she's still eating and drinking ok and otherwise doing ok.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Thank You!