Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My small Chihuahua loved almonds she would eat 4 or 5 at a…

My small Chihuahua loved...

My small Chihuahua loved almonds she would eat 4 or 5 at a time. she developed cancer did the almonds cause her to get cancer. she didn't eat almonds evey day twice a week maybe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

ChiChi age 11 1/2 years old I had her since she was 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Her name is ***** ***** you

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chichi?

She a heart murmue of grade 4 and lost weight rapidly from 5.4 to 4.4

3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so very sorry for the diagnosis, I know digesting this information is very difficult and getting answers as to why can be challenging. I cannot imagine the almonds being a factor in the cause of the cancer. I've had little dogs for 30+ years and unfortunately it is a progression of age and although there are risk factors for certain types of cancer we don't have any solutions to the general cause in most situations

But having a few almonds weekly will not be one of the risk factors I would attribute to her current situation. I know it is difficult to not know the why, I lost one of my dogs not a year ago to cancer, but I do not have any conclusions that would be returning to the almonds ingested over time

I hope this information is helpful, please know you are not alone and if there is anything else I can assist with please don't hesitate to ask

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
chichi also had been given 6 month heart worm vaccine and 3 year rabies vaccine the week before she lost all the weight she also developed sores above her eyes and at other locations on her body what about the vaccines that were given to her and the sores breaking out on her

The rabies vaccination can lead to immune mediated conditions in dogs but not likely the cancer. It might have been a tipping point with cancer already in her that progressed her symptoms faster but not the inciting cause of the cancer itself

As for the heartworm injection it also can have side effects but cancer is not one listed as a potential issue

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly

I am going to be taking a lunch break unless I can assist you both further today?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian