Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my 7 to 8 month old puppy his normal breakfast of 1…

Customer Question
I gave my 7...

I gave my 7 to 8 month old puppy his normal breakfast of 1 cup kibble this morning and he gobbled it down just as always. Now, less than an hour later, he is throwing up! What could be the cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, but we had a lot of rain yesterday and I pulled up some toad stools this morning. He also likes to chew on just about anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Ricky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ricky?

He is a rescue from south Texas and has discolored teeth. I was told that it it is probably due to a medication given to his mother while she was pregnant.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy is vomiting. This can be from an ingestion of something that Ricky ate being a puppy or can be viral/ bacterial in nature so if there is no change or progression without resolution of the vomiting please have him seen.

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Ricky comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications he should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Ricky to see if the vomiting has subsided and he is feeling better? I am going to be signing off for a dinner break but hoped to get an update before I go

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian