Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate some tape and she has been hacking since it

Hey so my dog...

Hey so my dog ate some tape and she has been hacking since it happened i think she must have eaten it a few days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is about 8 months maybe 9 now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taz?

Right now her coat is dull and she keeps hacking and nothing comes up

3/11/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with her symptoms. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take your pet to the vet for an xray tomorrow.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with her urge to hack things up right now. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt