Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

High WBC. High NEU. High LYM. Fluid accumulation at the

High WBC. High NEU...

High WBC. High NEU. High LYM. Fluid accumulation at the Belly

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

7 year old Yorkie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

My pet is a 7 year old Yorkshire Terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Yorkie?

Blood Tests indicate: High WBC, High NEU, High LYM. Low ALB, Low GLOB, Low TP and she has fluid accumulating at the belly and labored breathing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Yorkie's name and age?

Name: Sugar. Age: 7 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sugar?

Emergency Room Vet thinks it is PLE and put her on antibiotic and Prednisolone

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear that your Yorkie is in such distress and appreciate the thorough history. I concur with the information you have provided this is the likely scenario, often the increased breathing effort is related to the fluid in the belly compressing on the diaphragm so the lungs are not able to expand completely so if you treat the PLE then the breathing will reduce in effort (once the steroids are tapered)

But the information provided I would come to the same conclusion for Sugar and hope within the next 7 days that she will improve and become more comfortable. The prednisone will have side effects but once she is stable they will be tapered for a more longterm treatment protocol.

Diagnosis is often made on abdominal ultrasound and/ or exploratory surgery or endoscopy with biopsy but if diagnostics are declined this would be the treatment direction I would also advise.

I hope this gives you peace of mind that your veterinary er is likely treating effecitvely. If the albumin is <2 I would also talk to them about a low dose aspirin to minimize risk of clotting issues (it would have to be compounded in one so tiny but can prevent the low albumin resulting in thromboembolic disease as a complication)

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian