Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My German Shepard is 3 years old and not spayed yet. She's…

My German Shepard is...

My German Shepard is 3 years old and not spayed yet. She's been bleeding for about 4 days now we are finding spots on the floor. Just took her outside and noticed blood in her urine. She is swollen and licking herself a lot. Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 3 Years Old?

Kaia's vagina sometimes smells bad but not at this moment. Does the smell ma'am she's in heat or does the bleeding mean she's in heat. I've been trying to figure this out so I can find the right time to get her spayed

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

It sounds like she is in full estrus with the combination of swollen vulva, licking, strong odor and as long as she is not having increased water intake/ urination along with lethargy and reduced appetite then this is very normal with a heat cycle which may last 1-2 weeks of bleeding.

I would advise waiting 30 days after her heat resolves before spaying her to reduce risk of complications with the procedure. It also reduces surgery time to have her spayed at this interval

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You've eased my worrying. You've been very helpful. Thank you
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian