Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She’s loosing weight, she’s peeing a lot, she only weighs 7…

Customer Question
She’s loosing weight, she’s...

She’s loosing weight, she’s peeing a lot, she only weighs 7 pounds. I can feel her back bone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She’s a Shorky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes the dog is a shortky

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bella 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bella?

8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Underneath her belly is a dime size not , if you push on it she does not move it’s not causing any pain.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. The increased urination but moreso the increased weight loss with such a small dog is a concern and should be addressed asap

There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake/ urination in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms.

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting treatment and hopefully your dog feeling better swiftly.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman