Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog was given a ct scan on friday-they found a tumor on…

Hi, our dog was...

Hi, our dog was given a ct scan on friday-they found a tumor on his spine (6th vertebrae) Saturday morning the doc left us a voice message that it is Sarcoma-we called back but have been unable to reach him. Our dog is completely lame in his right leg. He is on lots of pain meds but still tends to whimper and at times let out a yelp if he moves the wrong way. He is eating well and wags his tail and goes potty. He is able to get up on his own when he wants to eat. We just need answers. We are considering putting him down because of the pain he's experiencing. The tumor is compressing his spine. Is there anything that can be done?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's a 9 1/2 year old Weimaraner

3/11/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been diagnosed with a sarcoma on the spine and is on pain medications. There are a few different options for what kind of sarcoma it could be, but one of the more common ones is called a histiocytic sarcoma. Did the message happen to say it was that one or just that it was a sarcoma?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His message was only that it was sarcoma. We have called the hospital again this morning in hopes he calls us back-he will not be working again until Tuesday. I cant imagine watching my dog do this for another two days.

I agree with you. I hope you are able to get in touch with the veterinarian soon so they can address his pain. I find that fentanyl patches work well for a sustained pain reliever. These are the same ones used in human medicine. There might be a complication if he has already been taking chronic opioid medications, but it is a good treatment choice. Even giving something slightly sedating would be helpful.

I am very sorry you are going through this. Here is a little information about the possible tumor. Histiocytic sarcomas can occur on the spine and cause the symptoms you are observing. Treatment for this is typically to remove the tumor and then follow it up with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. The prognosis if all of these tools are used is about 12-15 months. If just surgery is used then the prognosis is about 5 months on average.

It is possible it is not a histiocytic sarcoma, but that is the more common one that ends up on the spine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what I've read, most Sarcomas have a poor prognosis. The location of Henrys tumor is rare so what can be done other than managing his pain? he does not walk around at all..sleeps on his bed all day. Can he get the use of his leg ever again?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tumor cannot be removed. It is compressing his spine.

Most likely the leg will not be usable until the tumor has been removed. The compression on the nerve is likely to severe for medication to be of much help. If the tumor cannot be removed surgically, then it is possible it can be reduced in size with radiation therapy or even chemotherapy. Reducing the size of the tumor will help with the pain and restore some function back to the leg. Otherwise, pain management is with a combination of opioid and anti-inflammatory medications.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much...I really appreciate the information.
Monica

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sure will...Thanks again.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian