Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 year old Standard Poodle suddenly had cluster seizures…

Customer Question
12 year old Standard...

12 year old Standard Poodle suddenly had cluster seizures out of the blue while beginning our regular walk in park last wednesday (all of NJ immobilized by snowstorm Wedn/Thurs butmanaged to get her to vet immediately anyway, thank goodness). A rushed visit but she was stablized on Zonisamide 100mg 2s/daily (she is 52 pounds). She is holding her own but definitely shows ataxia, sedation, and is baffled what she should do next. I have diazepam rectal syringe should she seize again. She has had Lyme and anaplasmosis long ago, she has had one granular cyst removed 10 years ago and one oral melanoma with "clean margins" removed two years ago follow up xrays including last Wednesday all clear. Vet thought possible heart murmur a couple years ago but canine cardiologist found nothing out of the ordinary for a dog of her age. Question: she has not tolerated general anesthesia that well in past; it seemed to cause her to have huge issues with scooting and burning liquid coming out of her instead of poop for many days. I am very concerned about putting a compromised older dog under anesthesia tomorrow if the neurologist does recommend MRI for brain tumor, which does seem the obvious thing. Any suggestions for what anesthesia often works best for older or more compromised dogs? Thanks for any help!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Yes, serious indeed. No, that's all I have to share at this point. Thanks.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. Absolute legitimate question.

An MRI is the next step since the top concern with an older dog having seizures out of the blue is a primary brain lesion (tumor versus stroke-type even versus infection). What I can say is this is a common procedure for the neurologist. That specialist commonly performs MRIs on older pets with neurological issues. They probably have an anesthesiologist to assist in the procedure, which makes it the safest possible. We know her heart is good and her organs are functioning well so I would be confident she should do okay. It is not a long or invasive/painful procedure. Most of the time we will go with caution as far as type of anesthesia perhaps premedicaitng with hydromorphone/midazolam and then inducing with propofol to then maintain on an inhalant. You should ask, of course, tomorrow.

I am, however, concerned about the diarrhea she is having. You must ask for help with this! She need not suffer with burning fluid coming out her hind end. :(

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your answer, the part about the anesthesia tomorrow makes sense. But somehow you have misconstrued what I said about her diarrhea. The diarrhea I was referring to came years ago after a surgery. She is having no diarrhea at this time.

Oh, my. Sorry about that. Then, this is something you want to mention prior to her procedure. Then we can be prepared, perhaps get directions on what to do to prevent this or have medication on-hand at home. We do not want her to experience that again.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. **If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating. See you again soon!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx but no offense, your answer provided absolutely no useful insights. I will be unsubscribing but it was interesting to try.

I'm sorry. Let me opt out and see if another expert has the insight you are searching for.

Dog Veterinarian: Robert Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago
Robert Schwarb

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I saw that you were not satisfied with Dr. Joey's answer and were planning on unsubscribing from JustAnswer. I just wanted to check if you would still like the option to discuss your concern with another veterinarian (myself).

I understand if you are not interested in that.

Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb