Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's been put on a new food about a month ago but yesterday…

He's been put on...

He's been put on a new food about a month ago but yesterday he started scratching and licking himself all over. I have another dog as well and he is fine so I'm steering away from fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

While and he's 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about While?

He's very irritable as well

3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much and no one has assisted you yet today. With the recent diet change this can be the culprit so it would be worthwhile to consider transitioning back to the original diet while addressing the itching. All dogs (just like people) will have allergies so even though your other dog is not clinical it doesn't mean that your itchy dog doesn't have allergies to the environment that are developing or this new diet

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs, again a transition to the original diet may be helpful in reducing risks of food allergies

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you so much