Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female dog 21/2 years old and thursday night she…

My name is...

My name is Roberta and I have a female dog 21/2 years old and thursday night she vomited and had a liguid diarrea . Friday she had a diarrea no vomiting. I gave her honey water to keep her from dehydration. Sat I gave her boiled chichen and rice. also she tried to poop but nothing. In the afternoon she starting having difficulty getting up and walking. Today she had a diarrea once. I am not giving her anything to eat onlu honey water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No, but I can't get a hold a vet. I called my vet on Fri but they can't see her until tomorrow at 1 oclock.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
3/11/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been having diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty walking, and constipation. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have with vomiting and diarrhea is the risk for dehydration, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gums are ok and pulls back quickly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about a blockage?

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a moment.

There are many different causes of vomiting and diarrhea. An intestinal blockage is possible as well as other intestinal diseases such as dietary intolerance, food allergies, intestinal parasites, inflammatory bowel disease, etc. Treatment for acute vomiting is to give a medication to decrease nausea and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 20 lb dog dose is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if your dog weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for her.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to vomit, or if you notice a worsening of her dehydration, then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

For the constipation and diarrhea, you can give kaopectate and added fiber to the diet. I am less concerned about the diarrhea unless it continues for more than 3 days. The primary objective is to stop the vomiting and hopefully the Pepcid will do that. The goal is to get her comfortable enough in order to see your veterinarian tomorrow.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
very much. With her condition I feel I can wait for tomorrow.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian