Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We adopted a dog and she was spayed Monday before we took…

We adopted a dog...

We adopted a dog and she was spayed Monday before we took her home. She's been a tad reluctant of an eater but usually eats by now. She hasn't eaten or drank water since she got up a few hours ago and she won't even eat a treat. She is a 61# ***** bull about 2 years old and the shelter gave her all her shots.they tested her and said she was healthy. She was in heat when they spayed her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bella?

2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She was spayed Monday and was in heat they said

3/11/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Thank you also for giving Bella a good new home! I'm so appreciative when owners open up their homes to an adopted dog! Had she been eating well the previous couple days? Is she having any vomiting? How does her incision look?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The incision looks good and she's been a pretty good eater. But she's not been a super enthusiastic eater. No vomiting. Going potty regularly. But even when she came home from spaying she took a treat and she won't do that today.

That is great that the incision is looking good (closed, not opening up and no discharge). Also great that there is no vomiting. Is she on any current medications at this time post that spay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No she was given 3 days of pain meds so the last dose was Thursday.

Alright. Sometimes the appetite can be absent when they are on certain medications. In her situation, it may be that she's just "off" here this morning. Red flags here would be vomiting, not eating in the next 24 hours, getting really depressed, obvious discomfort, not drinking water in the next 12 hours or breathing harder / having pale gums. This time out post the surgery, it should be past the big time when an issue can happen due to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

I wouldn't be overly alarmed as long as none of those other flags are seen. Some can just have that "off" day for no good reason. I'm hoping for the best for her! Thank you again for giving her a great new home!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We love her so much! Thanks!

Absolutely no problem. Give her a good ear scratching for me since I can't!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian