Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are dog sitting our childrens french bulldog. She picked…

Customer Question
We are dog sitting...

We are dog sitting our childrens french bulldog. She picked up and brought to us in her mouth a hard chunk of rat poison. What do we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the French Bulldog ate?

She did not eat it but had the hard chunk in her mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the French Bulldog?

She had a gi I problem but now is clear.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend the following to do immediately to induce vomiting. If this does not help, I would take her to the ER vet right away.

You still have time to sort this out if you act quickly.

1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the mouse poison that way. Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.
Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However, if you fail to induce vomiting then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay. The ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs, there are also other measures which can be taken to limit the effects of the poison and there is a very good antidote available for many forms of mouse poison.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt