Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 12 year old border collie who was fine when she…

She is a 12...

She is a 12 year old border collie who was fine when she went out this morning but now will not bear weight on her back legs, although she did stand and take a couple of steps. She has been licking at her rear right elbow. She is alert, wet nose, no abdominal distension, and waged her tail when I came in and greeted her after church. She is acting a little freaked out, but she has always been a drama queen, and we made a big deal of this which I think got her worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

See above post.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Rear leg, possibly right mid-leg joint.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

DX last year with very early stage kidney disease, but no apparent symptoms presenting at present.

3/11/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• As a 12-year-old, did she already have some degree of arthritis/decreased mobility that she was dealing with?
  • Where was she while you were gone? Back yard? Free in the house?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No real evidence of arthritis in the past, just occasional soreness from playing with our 2 year old bc, which quickly went away.She went out this morning as usual into our fenced yard, and about 15 minutes later, we called her to come in so we could leave for church. She was laying on our deck, and stood, but staggered, then lay back down. We carried her in, and after a few minutes, she stood and took a few steps, but her back legs did not fully extend. We thought maybe she was cold or her legs went to sleep.We helped her to her bed, and went to church. An hour and a half later, when we returned, she had moved down the bed a little, and wagged her tail, but did not attempt to get up. That's when we noticed that she appears to have been licking at the right leg at her mid leg joint.Her breathing is normal, and there was no evidence of greater weakness on one side or the other of her body.

Thank you for your quick reply.

The first thing to come to mind after reading your description is that she may be experiencing a back problem, even something as potentially serious as a slipped disc.

(typing more)

A slipped disc could cause all the symptoms you are describing, and it's possible for her to have developed this type of problem and have it come on suddenly this way.

Here's an article that explains more details about a slipped disc:

https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3223

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the article. She displayed no pain response when my husband picked her up, or when we touched any area on her back.

They won't always act painful or give a painful response. It can be tricky.

If this is a spinal issue, she should show proprioceptive placing deficits. That means her brain's ability to tell where her legs are in space would be compromised. The way to test for this is to have her stand, gently flip over one back foot so she's standing on top of her toes, then see if she corrects it. If it's a spinal issue, she might not even notice she's standing with her foot knuckled over, or at least be delayed in correcting it.

I'll get you a link to a video that shows this...

If she corrects her knuckled over back feet (check both multiple times), then this is not likely to be a spinal issue. That opens the field to several other possibilities:

• sprains and strains
  • medical issues causing weakness: these are multiple...infectious diseases like Lyme, anemia, and many others

Regardless of the cause, her symptoms are serious enough to warrant a visit to the emergency vet. Even though she's not acting like she's in a lot of distress, this should be checked out right away and I'm sure she'd appreciate getting some relief sooner rather than later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thanks for the feedback and your time. We have an emergency vet nearby.

Oh, good. I'm so glad you'll be able to get her in. So sorry you're going through this. I know it can be very concerning to see her like this.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not right now, thanks. Appreciate your Sunday morning assistance!

Glad I could help. Please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website, and I hope your girl feels better soon.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian