Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Every day my dog has an episode of being very jumpy and

Customer Question
Every day my dog...

Every day my dog has an episode of being very jumpy and unsettled, extreme panting and shaking. She will not settle and climbs all over whoever is around, but jumps up again after a minute or so. I think this is happening around the same time every day and her diet hasn’t changed and there is nothing different in the house. She is 13 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella, 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

She has had periods of restlessness at night before but not for about s year

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What breed of dog is Bella?

Do you notice it happens when it is near dusk?

Do you notice she is up more at night than in the day time?

She is a mixed breed, not entirely sure. Lurcher of some kind?It seems to be early-mid afternoon.She is a little restless at night but the problem is in the afternoons when she just stares and shakes and pants.

Thank you for that information. If nothing has changed in the or outside the home then what you may be seeing is the start of canine cognitive dysfunction, especially if it happens the same time of day with no changes. Focal seizures would also have a dog become very clingy, but they would not happen the same time each day. Canine cognitive dysfunction is like human dementia for dogs and there will be other changes likely, as time goes on. She may be more restless during the night hours and more sleepy during the day, she may stare off into corners or walls. she may start having accidents in the home, which is the time when most owners realize there is a problem.

There is medication for this that you can get from your Vet. They can't do tests for this, they will ask you questions to determine if this is the problem. The mid afternoon may bring about sundowners in the dog which will have them act out differently.

Here is a bit more on this subject;

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/5-signs-dog-dementia

Sundowners https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2017/03/how-to-help-your-dog-with-sundowners-syndrome/