Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog has melanoma of the mouth it would seem the tumor…

Customer Question
Good morning our dog...

Good morning our dog has melanoma of the mouth it would seem the tumor has burst open there was a large blood discharge initiall

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

The tumor is cancerous not treatable she does not have long to live

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

2 years old lab mix

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

This is very common with oral tumors, both melanoma and squamous cell carcinomas. They tend to break open and bleed periodically. There is not a lot you can do to prevent that without surgically removing them. This is not an easy surgery and typically involves removing part of the jaw as well.

There is one herbal supplement out there that has some anti-bleeding effects- Yunnan Baiyao. You can order it online and give 1 capsule twice daily. I'm not big into herbal stuff, but this is one that I'll use for tumors that have a tendency to bleed as it has some scientific studies to support it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian