Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has bloody diarrhea and is vomiting clear/yellowish

Customer Question
She has bloody diarrhea...

She has bloody diarrhea and is vomiting clear/yellowish slimy consistency stuff? She is drinking water but does not want to eat much of anything in 24 hrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not sure possibly?! She is a 6yr. Toy Australian Shepherd and we just got new puppy after her mate of 6years died. She has been known to eat poop and possibly ate some of the puppies poop is what I’m thinking?!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

I have pictures..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her name is*****

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I am sorry to hear Dixie Belle has vomiting and diarrhea. Absolutely eating puppy poop could cause an upset system. However, vomiting/diarrhea is a nonspecific sign that can indicate anything from ingestion of unusual item to something trapped in the digestive tract that was swallowed to pancreatitis to an organ issue (liver, kidney) to an infection (viral, parasites), and there are other potential issues.

My worry is that she is small and does not have much reserves before she becomes dehydrated. That and the fact she is vomiting means at-home treatment is going to be very tough (we may not be able to get her to keep any pills down in order for them to work). So, the absolute best option is for you to take her to the emergency clinic today (this morning) for an evaluation. They may recommend do some testing (lab work and radiographs) to try to narrow down the problem. If she is stable and not febrile or dehydrated then some injections to stop vomiting and to provide some fluid therapy may be indicated.

If you are unable to take her in today I can give you some hints to try at home.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. **If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating. See you again soon!

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified