Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I started my chat about Skyler a few minutes ago... my 11…

Hi I started my...

Hi I started my chat about Skyler a few minutes ago... my 11 year old male schnauzer it went away when I went to the payment page

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

I'm afraid he has overdone it with playing ball while we were gone -he had a dog sitter - he could have jumped up and hurt his back... he's walking like everything is stiff and shakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He takes meds for skin allergies I already did that

3/11/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Skyler. How long has he been walking stiff, and shaking?

Do you have any pain medication that was previously prescribed for him?

Is he eating, and drinking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I gave him half a tramadol last night that I had... yes he is eating and drinking.. we were on vacation till yesterday.. got home about 3 pm and he could barely get out of his crate... same thing this morning..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had a dogsitter here who's kept them before - I think she just overplayed the ball with him - maybe he jumped up to catch it and hurt his back...

It would be good to give him some anti inflammatory medication along with the tramadol. If he is eating you can try aspirin; how much does he weigh?

Keep him confined as much as possible. Only take him out to eliminate.

If the tramadol and aspirin do not help, he should see his veterinarian for some prescription medication and possibly muscle relaxants like Robaxin (methocarbomol).

If he is 20 to 25 pounds, he can take 1 baby aspirin, with food, up to twice daily. If he vomits, do not repeat it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
17 lbs
we have baby aspirin - is that ok ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it ok to give the tramadol with the aspirin? Its a 50 mg tramadol that I halved for him - can I give it twice a day?

If she is 17 pounds, I would start with 1 baby aspirin twice daily with food. You can give tramadol with aspirin and he can take 1/2 up to 3 times daily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was thinking he'd need more than just the tramadol - I can call our vet in the morning...

Yes, tramadol treats pain but not inflammation. If the aspirin and tramadol are not helping, seeing your veterinarian would be best.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I'll do that now :)
Thank you for helping us out!Tami

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian