Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On Friday evening my dog vomited twice and was having very…

On Friday evening my...

On Friday evening my dog vomited twice and was having very loose stools. Yesterday during the day he was fine and then last night around 9pm he vomited twice before bed. He was up wanting to go outside during the night still with small runny stools and foamy or watery vomit. Since 5am this morning he has vomited about 6 times and the last time it had a pink tint to it. I have felt of his stomach and it seems normal and not tender. He is acting normal but just tired and you can tell he doesn't feel great. We switched from a better food to a cheaper food he had eaten a few years ago about a week ago and has had some runny stool and extreme gas since. I forgot to ease him into the food. We decided to switch back to the food he was on but we haven't fed him any yet because he has been sick and I read to withhold food for 24 hours.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He never has any issues which is why it makes me think it is related to this food change. We have never had any issues with him chewing up or eating things and he is in inside dog who is always with us so I don't thing he has gotten into anything either

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am also sorry to see you have been waiting for an answer. I just came online and will be happy to help, but I am not able to make a phone call. I can answer your questions here, if that is alright, or you can wait for an expert who can make calls.

How old is your dog? What breed?

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is fine I can just communicate on here instead of a call. My dog is a mixed breed that we rescued as a puppy. We think he is mostly black lab and maybe a little bit of pitbull. He is five years old and has never had any health issues, he is very active and healthy. His gums are light pink.

Good his gums are pink. This vomiting and loose stools could be from the diet change, or from an infection, or something he ate (although I see that is unlikely with him).

Until the vomiting stops, I would offer only clear fluids like water, ice chips, Pedialyte or broth, and not a lot all at one time. Do not offer food until he is able to drink and keep liquids down.

You can try giving him some Pepcid AD; how much does he weigh?

I hope you are seeing my responses; I have not heard from you. If he is around 50 pounds, he could take 10 mg of Pepcid AC (famotidine) or 20 mg of Prilosec (omeprazole) twice daily for vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im sorry I was on a phone call for work. If I were to give him pedialyte should I dilute it. He weighs 65 pounds.

You can give the Pedialyte straight or diluted, just a few laps at a time at first.

He can take 15 mg Pepcid or 30 mg Prilosec twice daily. If that helps the vomiting but he still has diarrhea, you can try Pepto Bismal, but not until he is not vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much. If this doesnt do the trick when should I see my vet

If he goes all day today not being able to keep liquids down, I would have him at your veterinarian in the morning.

You are welcome; please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to run and get some pepcid and some pedialyte now and I will update later today on how he is doing. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wanted to give you an update. My dog has not vomited since we spoke this morning. I gave him the pepcid and pedialyte. He has been fine until about thirty minutes ago when his diarrhea resumed. He has only wanted to go out twice but both times it has been diarrhea.

Thanks for the update; glad he is not vomiting.

You can try some Pepto Bismal for the diarrhea. He could take 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of Pepto twice daily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and should I continue the pepcid or just do the pepto bismal?

You can do both. If you are sure the vomiting has stopped, you can stop the Pepcid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. He hasn't vomited since 8 something this morning but he wasn't vomiting during the day yesterday either, he didn't start until the night. Should I ease him back into food with the bland diet since we are going to switch back to the food he had been using before he started getting sick.

Once he is drinking and has gone 6 hours or so without vomiting I would try a very small bland meal, such as boiled chicken and rice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I already made that to have on hand for when he was feeling better. Thank you so much for relieving this dog mom's mind. With my vet closed on sundays with no line to call I was very worried that something serious was wrong.

I hope he continues to improve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well my dog made it all the way until 1045 before he puked again. I gave him some more pepto bismal as I didn't give the full dose earlier and he puked about 5 minutes after. He has puked 3 time since then small amounts each time and it is pink so I don't know if that means its because of the pepto bismol or what.

The pink vomit is probably the Pepto. If he is still vomiting, it may be time to have him checked by your veterinarian. Please let me know how he is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My dog ended up puking with bright red blood last night. he slept all night and was acting totally normal this morning but we took him to the vet anyway. They did a fecal test to rule out any worms or anything and it came back normal My vet gave him 3 shots, an antibiotic, a muscle relaxer, and one for nausea and told us to feed him a little of his normal food today and wait about 2 hours to see if he kept it down then we could give him a little more. It has been an hour and he is fine so far. She said from him acting normal and not having an tenderness she doesn't think he swallowed anything but that if his vomitting returns to bring him back in the morning for an xray just in case. She said she thinks he just has a virus or something.

Thanks for the update; hope he continues to improve.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian