Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Xray last this past Tuesday identified cancer in the

Customer Question
Xray last this past...

Xray last this past Tuesday identified cancer in the shoulder bone. 10 year old Lab elected not to amputate. Treating with Deramax for pain and inflamation. Minimal swelling but after 5 days her pain seems to have intensified. Eating and eliminating regularly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Phoebe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phoebe?

No other than her weight is 72 lbs and general health has been excellant

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply. Is it osteosarcoma? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Osteosarcoma is the most common bone tumor in dogs. Treatment options are pain medications alone, paind medication and amputation, or amputation and chemotherapy. With pain medication alone usually the prognosis is a few months. People generally opt for euthanasia due to pain, not because the dog feels ill. With chemotherapy you can get closer to a year.

I’m so sorry phoebe is going through this. Is there a specific question you want to know about?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Deramaxx doage is 50mg daily can I increase to 100mg daily to help relieve pain

At 72# ***** max dose is 63mg, so 100mg would be too much. I'd talk to your vet about adding in Tramadol...that's an opioid medicine that can be given along with anti-inflammatories.

If you can cut the pills in quarters, you can give 1 1/4 tab once daily. My sympathies about Phoebe...glad she's on some good pain medicine. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Kindly consider rating my answer.

How's Phoebe doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian