Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What do I feed a dog with an upset stomach? Runny stool,

What do I feed...

What do I feed a dog with an upset stomach? Runny stool, uncontrollable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Benji, age 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benji?

We are dog sitting him while his owner is away . She had us feeding him pro plan vet diets EN- gastroenteric.

3/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now Pro plan EN is a good diet for loose stool and gastrointestinal upset. Though if it isn't agreeing with Benji, other option include Hill’s I/D, Royal Canin’s sensitivity control, or Royal Canin’s Gastrointestinal diet. Else in a pinch, we can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Though whichever is used, consider adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and an OTC probiotic (Benebac, Fortiflora) to firm the stools quicker and aid digestion. Finally, if he is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues if those are to blame; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. Of course, if his signs linger then his owner may need him seen and a stool sample tested to check for infectious agents that may need to be treated for.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you when you own vet cannot, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will this affect my dog? Max, age 5

Hello again,

It does depend on the root cause. If its stress induced, then no. But if he has a brewing GI infection (bacterial, viral, etc) then it could be spread. So, you may wish to keep the dogs separate to be safe and pick up Benji's stools to avoid any risk of infectious agent exposure to Max.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian