Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started with yellow diarrhea two days ago. My vet…

My dog started with...

My dog started with yellow diarrhea two days ago. My vet said a bland diet, which we are doing. Yesterday her stool turned green and watery. Now it is thicker but still green. Does she need to see the vet before tomorrow as only the emergency vet is in?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Josie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josie?

French bulldog, possibly 1 week pregnant. Was given lunch meat as a great the night before getting diarrhea.

3/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any blood in her diarrhea?

Do her eyes look sunken?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

No blood. Eyes look normal. Pushed all over her belly and she laid there snoring. Gums are pink and wet, not sticky. She's been alert and playful. Of coure sleeping now. Last diarrhea about an hour ago.
She ate lunch meat the night before her diarrhea started...

Hello again,

Now I did see that Josie had lunch meat initially but usually that is only going to cause mild gastritis which should settle in a day or so. This change in color suggests to me that we have more ongoing. Therefore, we'd be wary that this is instead due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

Now the diet is a good start but just in case she is perhaps sensitive to the protein you are using, I'd note that you can use a combination of cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Though whichever you use, I would also suggest adding in fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Otherwise, if she is very loose, we can also use a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for her (since there is a pregnancy concern), we are a wee bit limited. Though we can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) or a Kaolin/probiotic combo paste (ie Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber) which are all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns but from the sounds of this, I'd suspect that the lunch meat Josie had is a red herring here. Therefore, we’d want to add in the above to see if we can reduce this for her. Though if it persists, a check up and stool sample test would be ideal so we can target treatment for her without putting any pups at risk and just get this settled as quick as we can.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I am feeding her ground beef with white rice mixture. Her stool is thicker this morning. Do you think it is okay to wait until tomorrow to take her to my normal Vet? Only the pet emergency center is open and they have not always correctly diagnosed my pets. I'm especially concerned with her possible pregnancy and prefer to take her to my normal vet.

Hi again,

Provided she isn't weak or dehydrated, it should be fine to wait. Though do make sure that is a lean ground beef and that you are boiling it since too much fat from that can cause diarrhea too.

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.
**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Thank you!

You are very welcome. :)

Dr. B.
**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Thanks for checking. She's doing well. Took about 6 days for the diarrhea to stop, but the pumpkin and probiotics seemed to do the trick. Both stool samples came back negative so there was no bacteria.