Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 22 month old lab has being limping for three weeks. We…

Customer Question
Hello my 22 month...

Hello my 22 month old lab has being limping for three weeks. We have taken her to the vet 3 times. He can’t find any breaks or torn ligaments by examining her. She is on metacam which gave her an allergic reaction - swelling of the base of tail and difficulty breathing. We tried loxicom too. I am taking her back on Tuesday to another vet - do you have any ideas of what it can be. She is limping on the front left limb. She doesn’t limp inside the house. Just outdoors.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes - it’s clear. She uses her paws to play with toys and to give you paw if she is beggging and wants my food!

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Belle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?

She is pedigree. Parents were both scored for elbows and eyes. She is internationally traveled but I am guessing you want to know medically - no she has had no health issues. The vet said she is slightly overweight but I am working on that :) mind you she hasn’t been properly exercised in the 3 weeks. Just short 10 min walks on the lead. She is neutered

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Shoulder soft tissue injuries in Labs are often underdiagnosed and include supraspinatus tendinopathy, biceps tendinopathy, medial and lateral glenohumeral ligament disruptions, subscapularis tendon tears and infraspinatus contracture. These types of injuries are often grouped under the term of rotator cuff injuries. A specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon (rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals) should be considered for Belle. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian