Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just vomited and in her vomit were little worms. Is…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog just...

Hello, my dog just vomited and in her vomit were little worms. Is this considered an emergency?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of but she does spend most of her day in our fenced yard.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loula?

No not that I can think of...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Loula vomited some worms. The only thing that could constitute an emergency is if she is dehydrated from the vomiting, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

I truly don’t believe she is dehydrated. She has been acting normal and we have had no reason to believe she has had worms. She has not vomited previously however tonight while laying on the floor she vomited and then again in another area of the house. The first area where she vomited had no signs of worms or anything different. The second area very obviously consisted of worms. They were brownish in color and the ends were curled. I have never experienced this with an animal before so didn’t know if it was an emergency situation or could wait until Monday when the vet clinic opens. We also have young children and am concerned for them as well.

The fact that worms were vomited does not make it an emergency. If she continues to vomit then dehydration would be the emergency that she would require treatment. You can help to reduce nausea by giving an over-the-counter medication and a low fat diet. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 20 lb dog dose is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Loula weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for her.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to vomit, or if you notice signs of dehydration, then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

On Monday, she should have a fecal exam performed and a dewormer given. A few worms are contagious to people. The route is fecal-oral, so if the children are young enough to put hands in their mouth then they should be discouraged from playing anyplace where Loula may have previously defecated.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?