Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My hairless dog has a scratching issue and my vet said it…

My hairless dog has...

My hairless dog has a scratching issue and my vet said it could be allergy related so we changed his diet. He has been eating just cooked salmon for 2 days and when he pooped it was all liquid with blood in it too. My babysitter says we should wait it out but should I bring him to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

No, I don't think so at least

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OH!!! I almost forgot - I have been, under the advice of my babysitter, giving Max pieces of Benadryl capsules hidden in cheese. He's 7 pounds, but since the benadryl is in a 25 mg capsule I might have split it wrong - would that be a cause?
3/11/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Any change in diet can cause some dogs to have diarrhea with blood in it. This includes both the salmon and also the cheese you have been feeding. The Bendaryl is unlikely to be the cause.

If Max is well otherwise and not vomiting then I would actually change his diet to something very bland like boiled chicken and white rice for 5 days (I know this is not the allergy diet but obviously the salmon is not agreeing with him). After 5 days I would then slowly re-introduce your original dog food (not the salmon).

If the diarrhea does not settle in the 5 days then i would recommend re-visiting your vet as it maybe something else.

If Max starts to vomit or becomes quiet then I would visit the vet earlier. He may have a few more loose poops with blood but these should settle over the 5 days of chicken and rice.

You may need to consider an allergy free commercial food like Science Diet z/d in the future for the allergies as the salmon may be too rich for him.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian