Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 wk old Maltipoo and she just started to have

Hello, i have a...

Hello, i have a 9 wk old Maltipoo and she just started to have diarrhea episodes today. She has had dirrhea now 5x todal. She is not eating / and not drinking a smuch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Took he to the doc and tested her for parvo and she tested positive. She got her parvo vaccine (1st shot) on the 23rd of February. She spat up once (it was almost like a hairball thing but not vomit)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Xayah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Well, we brought her home on Monday evening and we have another dog. Yesterday she got into her food even though I keep it away from the pup she was checke out by the vet and was given the all ok / healthy on tuesday

she just had one more episode of diarrhea. It smelled bad but was absolutely no blood.She also drank a coupl eof sips of water
3/11/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pup. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with the diarrhea. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take him to the vet for a check-up.

You can give Metamucil which is a fiber supplement that can help firm up the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Can she still have chicken and rice even though she is a 9 wk old pup and has not had any human food? She has had purina puppy chow only

Yes, it is a bland diet that would be preferred for her to eat right now while she's having this bought of diarrhea.

Should I liquidize it? Also how much should I give?Do I need to give the pepto or anything for her tummy? They did give her an injection to protect her intestines at the ER as well as an antibiotic shot
If giving the metamucil, how much should i give her / mix with the water

I would not liquidize it, I would try 1/4 of a cup of a 50:50 mixture of the chicken and rice. I would not give Pepto Bismol because they metabolize that into Aspirin and it can cause GI ulcers in younger dogs. As far as the Metamucil, I would give 1 capsule dissolved in water or mixed in with the chicken and rice once a day, whichever is easiest for you to give, but I would mix it with something to make it easier to give.

can the positive test for Parvo be a false positive? She had the vaccination on feb 23Sorry i'm just completely freaking out here
the metamucil i have is powder form

I didn't realize she tested positive for Parvo. That changes a lot. I would recommend she be hospitalized on IV fluids if possible in that case.

In the powdered form, it would be 1/4 of a teaspoon once a day.

unfortuately we cannot afford the hospitalization. The estimate they gave was 1700 a night

Ok, well hopefully my recommendations will help her!

She has had 5 diarrhea episodes total. i'm feeding her water with a syringe every 15 minutes.
She is peeing ok, the last diarrhea episode before the last was 5 hours before.Could she test false positive for parvo if she had it on feb. 23

The fact that she hasn't vomited is great. No, it is probably not a false positive parvo test.

Can i still do what you suggested with the parvo positive test?Metamusil 1/4 with water a day, chicken and rice or chicken baby food, and keep h hydrated with feeding her water every few minutes?How much water should I be feeding her every 15 or 30 minutes? She is 2.5 lbs

Yes, I would still follow my suggestions. As far as the water, I would offer 1/8th of a cup every hour or so.

Thank you so much. I'm just freaking out about my pup.
I read online about charcoal tablets that can help kill the parvo virus> Is there ay truth to it and do you recommend?Do you reccomend anything like Immodiam AD?

I understand. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm hoping for the best. I would not recommend charcoal tablets for parvo. I would not give Imodium either.

oK.. thank you so very much.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Schmidt
Hello, thank you for following up on my pup. I was just coming to ask a question here :DMy sweet baby girl was hospitalized yesterday. Today the vet said that she was still very lethargic and showed no interest in eating. She is hooked on to IV fluids and other meds.Her CBC was all within normal range and she tested negative for Giardia. She was diagnosed with Parvo on Sat. evening but started exhibiting the signs in the morning.She is not throwing up but had diarrhea with speckles of blood yesteday night (3) and some today during the day. She is peeing ok.The last update we got was that she was still critical but stable. I was coming to ask what the survival rate is given these conditions.God I miss my baby so much. I feel so lost without her :(
Hello, I'm thrilled to hear she is hospitalized on fluids, that will give her the best outcome possible! I have treated lots of these cases, and given the treatment she is receiving, I think she has a 75% chance of completely recovering, which is good! We'll just have to see how she does over the course of the next 48 hours. That could all change of course, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Awww, look how precious! I'll be praying for a safe recovery!
Thank you so much. Have a great night and I will let you know how she does
Hello, I just wanted to give you an update. Our sweet pup passed away last night from Parvo. We are heartbroken and devastated

I am so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences.