Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is on Chloramphenicol and I just wanted to know if I…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is on Chloramphenicol and I just wanted to know if I could safely make skin to fur contact with him after I have administered the drug. I have heard it penetrates epithelial tissue very well and may have residual traces on his fur. I have heard a lot of opinions and I am just looking for more! Thanks, Sam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

He had a surgery for a broken jaw and then now has osteomyelitis. In addition he has MRSCn. Hes recovering very well though

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He seems to be okay at the moment. Not in any obvious distress.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nope not really.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?

Oh yes. He will still eat anything you put in front of him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?

Are you a real person?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Oh okay. I don't think so. He just started Chloramphenicol today. Everything is under control but I cannot get a hold of my vet till Monday.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you! Nice to meet you Dr Scott

Hello again,

Likewise, glad to meet you. I have worked out an answer for you below.

This is a very short answer I know, but it 100% answers your question. I would not worry on this score, the chances of you acquiring any sort of significant dose of Chloramphenicol through handling your dog would be next to zero. The thing to do is just to wash your hands and exposed arms after handling the dog as a sensible precaution, but really you are at no risk.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see if you needed any more information regarding the use of Chloramphenicol in dogs ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian