Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with a collapsed trachea. She was on…

Customer Question
My dog was diagnosed with...
My dog was diagnosed with a collapsed trachea. She was on prednisone as did well with her intusl dose, but declined quickly within 5 days of being off. She had a few very bad nights, coughing up foamy discharge with a bit of bright red blood. She’s teen back on prednisone for three days. We didn’t see an improvement, and then tonight, should coughed up a bloody hunk of tissue and now seems perfectly fine.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. What dose of Prednisone is she on currently? Sometimes you can see some inflammatory tissue getting coughed up with some collapsing trachea cases. Do you have a picture of the tissue by chance?

I can’t attach the picture. But it was spongy, bloody tissue. It was about 2cm by 3 cms she’s on 15 mgs of prednisone every day for 15 days and then tapering to 15 mgs every other day. This is her 3rd day at this dose. When she was diagnosed 8 weeks ago, she was on 25mgs twice a day. It was too high of a dose, she was lethargic and urinating in the house. She did not seem better, until she coughed up this tissue, and now she is breathing normally. Absolutely no wheeze. Our vet wanted to do a scope to potentially cut a flap of skin out of her throat, could this be the flap of skin she coughed up?

Wow, that is a large piece of tissue! I would worry more about either a tracheal mass or a polyp based on that picture. Is there any way you could get that tissue to a vet to have it preserved in formalin and submitted for analysis? It would be nice to know exactly what that type of growth that is to know if it is likely to recur or not.

I put it in a baggie and put it in the freezer. My vet is not open until Monday. I would be urgently taking her somewhere if she wasn’t doing so well right now. Is this the right thing to do? We’ve already spent so much money on X-rays and a specialist radiology looking at her X-ray. The radiologist said they thought it was collapsed trachea but wanted to scope. Her chest X-rays we’re all normal. She was a rescue and she was removed from the home I. An investigation. She slso wasn’t fixed until 7 years old, when we got her. I think that this is from abuse. It’s so sad.

Yes, it sounds like she doesn't need to go to the emergency vet. Freezing the tissue can actually damage it for analysis. I think if you want it to be analyzed, you might want to call around at some of the emergency vets and just see if they wouldn't mind preserving it for you so you can take it to your vet on Monday. It wouldn't hurt to at least ask. But yes, it sounds like she is very stable. And who knows, how that she has coughed the tissue up, that might be curative for her!