Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a labrador about 9 yrs old. He seemed fine all day…

Customer Question
I have a labrador...

I have a labrador about 9 yrs old. He seemed fine all day and now I noticed that he was having a hard time going poop when I put him out, or at least he seemed to be straining. When I brought him back in he was sluggish, head down, tail between his legs & when he layed down, every now & then his stomach would contract. He threw up some watery, with a couple pieces of dog food in it. He won't lie in one spot long either. I took him out again & he was trying to poop & he got about a teaspoon of soft gold colored poop & that was all. He is an inside dog but was outside on his run for a bit today but I don't think he got into anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I noticed his hind legs and butt are quivering a bit when he is laying down, or maybe shaking.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

If he is straining to pass stool (which the vomit is likely a side effect), we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance he has eaten something non-edible, has belly pain or vomiting; then we'd want him seen urgently. Otherwise, for constipation (which could be related to arthritis at his age or even due to an enlarged organ compressing the gut --so we do need to monitor closely), there are a few home care treatments we can try. To start, you can offer a cup of cow's milk. The lactose in milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement to get stools passed. Another option would be OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut to facilitate the movement of gut contents (hard feces in this case) out of the rectum. And these would be ideal at this point since we'd not be keen to use GI lubricants (ie Miralax) if he is vomiting since we don't want to risk him aspirating it.

Though otherwise we can also try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil mixed into a bit of canned food) to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. Though if we use the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or vomits any more, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you when you own vet cannot, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, considering that it took forever to get a response, I took him to the vet and he has pancreatitis and a few other issues.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian