Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkshire terrier has diarrhoea and mixed stools at the…

My Yorkshire terrier...

My Yorkshire terrier has diarrhoea and mixed stools at the same time and I have just noticed a little blood dark in colour. Some days she is normal and others its mixed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Yorkshire Terrier's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?

I used to give her chicken at meal times but stopped that when she had this problem

3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset today. I can give you some basic guidelines for but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary exam with the chronicity to determine the underlying cause since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon).

Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues, which is likely the cause of the relapses you are experiencing

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

very helpful will try out your recommendations. Thankyou

You are very welcome, I have had numerous food allergy dogs and know how frustrating this process can be

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian