Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Killed a rat and has a small bleeding scratch on his muzzle.

Killed a rat and...

Killed a rat and has a small bleeding scratch on his muzzle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is due for his rabies shot but current on everything else. He's 4.

3/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily rabies is primarily seen in bats, skunks, foxes and not in small animals like rats. Ideally I would get his rabies vaccination on Monday to minimize risk which is only from bite wounds not scratches but it should be quit minimal at this point

Keeping the wound clean and dry, cleaning with ivory soap and water or an oatmeal based dog shampoo and minimize rubbing/ licking/ scratching it should heal just fine but at the first sign of discharge, swelling please have him seen.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I cleaned it with an iodine pad from my dog first aid kit. It has stopped bleeding. Will that suffice? Thank you.

Yes that should work well, just continue to keep it clean and dry and it should heal without incident

Thank you!

You are very welcome, best wishes to you both