Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a persistent cough for about 8 months and getting…

My dog has a...

My dog has a persistent cough for about 8 months and getting worse, we live in Tasmania so heart worm isn't a problem and we have always been up to date with his yearly visits to a vet. we lived in Queensland for years and moved to Tasmania about 16 months ago. No other symptoms has been noted.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snuffy?

He has always had a sensitive neck so we could never have a lead around his neck or collar. other then that he is a healthy dog.

3/11/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hello there

What are the odds!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I am visiting Australia, New Zealand and Devonport, Tasmania next Friday for ten days

You will have to tell me the must see things on the island

But lets get back to your pet

How old is Snuffy?

Any discharge with the cough?
Weight loss?

What breed?

Paul

He is 8 years old will be 9 in August. A little spit or flem He is Maltese shihezu. I had thought he had lost weight a little but he wasn't shaved for several months. We recently started him on some wet food along with his biscuits.
No thank you.
No thank you to the call but thanks anyway
Are you still there?

Okay

The two most likely problems are chronic bronchitis and/or collapsing trachea

Your history supports this- he is over weight

We can start the process of helping him at home but will likely need to be put onto more powerful anti-tussives and lose some weight

Not an emergency but some time in the next few weeks he should have chest x-rays to rule out other problems

Are you okay comfortable with this plan?

Paul

No thanks to the call. He is 7 kilo's and last vet was 8 months ago and she said he was the healthiest dog she had seen he lost 1 kilo since arriving in Tasmania. Also we feed him quite a lot ok chicken nexks but have stopped them for the past month.
He isn't over weight . I thought he looked thinner but he has a lot of fur and wasn't shaved for ages

Thanks for additional history

Based on the breed and history those two differentials are still highest on the list

But as I said chest x-rays would be needed to rule out pulmonary pathology and pleural space pathology

Paul

The only problem he had was plaque and we had the teeth cleaned. No I don't need to call you.

I am not asking for the calls

It is the stupid BOTS on this site!

Ok we will get him a chest chest x-rays
Anyway thanks for your help.

Great

In the interim, however, we need to help with that cough

Please put him in bathroom with shower on hot for ten minutes

Repeat three times daily

Give Robitussin DM at 1/2 teaspoon three times daily

Switch to harness from collar to stop pinching on neck

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul