Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a discharge coming from his penis. The discharge…

My dog has a...

My dog has a white discharge coming from his penis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

The discharge smells like fish

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Buster and he is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Buster?

4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.

3/11/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buster.

Is he neutered?

Thanks; this kind of discharge is normal in dogs that are not neutered. This could be an infection, or something irritating inside his prepuce.

What can I do until I get to the vet?

Is he urinating normally?

usually about 30 minutes after he drinks water

That is good; this is probably not a urinary tract infection.

What do I do until I can get to the vet?

If he is eating and urinating normally, I would not do anything. I might push back the prepuce to expose the actual penis, to see if it looks unusually red, or if there is anything irritating inside the prepuce, but you might wait for your veterinarian to do this.

This may not be serious.

Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions and if my answer is helpful.

Okay, I will wait. I will keep you up to date about him. Thank you

You are welcome. Please do update me.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.