Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a puggle terrier mix. She weights about 27 pounds. I…

I have a puggle...

I have a puggle terrier mix. She weights about 27 pounds. I left two small pieces of pizza on the table while I ran out. They were wrapped in saran wrap and foil on the outside. She ate it all. She has eaten a lot of other things inn the past and been fine. I'm just worried. I called the emergency vet and they said yo bring her in for an xray. I asked if I could monitor and they said yo W atxh for straining to poop or vomiting. She just pooped. What signs should I be watching out for in case the plastic wrapped around her intestine or anything? What can the foil do?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probably about an hour and a half ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you need to know anything else?

That's fine, for now, busy typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually, I have seen so many cases like this over the years where dogs have eaten foil pie dishes and the like, and in my expereince most dogs will get away with this as the chances are she will have torn the foil wrapper and Saran Wrap into small pieces and these will just pass along her digestive tract without causing too much of a problem.

2. Your best plan is just to monitor for now but in the unlikely event of anything going wrong you would be looking for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, straining and signs of abdominal pain.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you...what would signs of abdominal pain look like?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Perhaps not settling in one position for long, turning her head and looking at her abdomen, making small grunts, these kinds of symptoms.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian