Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old neutered male golden retriever. In

Hi I have a 7...
Hi I have a 7 year old neutered male golden retriever. In December he displayed a 4 mm sebaceous adenoma on his left cheek. This was confirmed buy Fluid sample. I went to the vet to have it removed and he said an option was to laser it. What he did is basically laser the core of it so now it looks like an open volcano. I'm just wondering if this is proper treatment and what is going to be left a month or two down the road. Will there be a scar? Will it be red? Will the sides of the volcano shrink down?
20171226_153143.jpg2017122...jpg20171226_153034.jpg2017122...jpg20180310_185443.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_141934.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_141915.jpg2018031...jpg
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you

Paul

Looks good

That is going to heal in nicely with granulation tissue and then will re-epithelialize after that

You wont know he had surgery in a few weeks

Yes it is a totally effective and approved procedure

I hope that helps!

Paul

it's appropriate to essentially go in from the top and turned it into a volcano you're saying right?
I'm sorry I don't understand what granulation tissue is in epithelialize
will the walls of this volcano Fade to flat and the entire thing turn more or less flat
will the color be red, will this end up being Scar Tissue? What will this look like

They have removed the mass in its entirety yes

It will be replaced by tissue and that tissue will be covered over by epithelium

It will then remodel and look perhaps a little bit pink but I doubt even that

Paul

Will it be flat to the skin

Every animal is different and every surgical outcome is different

In this instance I would think that with remodeling it would be less than 1.0mm higher or lower then the surrounding tissue

I know this is a stupid question but when you say remodeling you mean that the walls of the volcano will be flat correct also he said that adenoma is like this may slowly grow over time. I know that if it's a carcinoma it grows rapidly but do these type of adenomas slowly grow over time?
Picture 185443 is probably the best picture to show what I'm talking about

They are slow growing yes

The walls will be flat yes

Paul

The last thing is he recommended polysporin for 4 days and then just leave it is that a correct course of action?
Since he's burnt the core as you see are there any chances that this will come back down the road?

IF he got it all then it will not come back- that is correct

Do not put anything on it- that will only delay healing

Paul

Want to become infected if I just leave it open like this?
Won't it become

No

More chance of infection if you cover it up

The more oxygen the better the healing

Thank you
From what you said do you think it looks like he's remove the mass completely correct?

You are welcome

Good questions :)

It is hard for me to assess that- I have to presume that they knew what they were doing and got it all

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Just wondering, will this area ever regrow hair?

The very small area of healing will likely not as no hair follicles

But depends on the healing

Paul