Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet has been trying to treat a gastronomic problem, but…

My vet has been trying...
My vet has been trying to treat a gastronomic problem, but after two weeks I found out through X-rays he has fluid build up. I think it is around lung and heart. I am bringing to a specialist Monday. He is GSD 7 years old, hi drive. Is this treatable or can fluids be drained or medicated like people
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Did they make the diagnosis or just guess what the problem was?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Originally they only did blood test, all negative. They didn’t know what was wrong for two weeks, then I called them and brought him in for X-rays He wasn’t eating . He ate today and Thursday, small portions.

Okay

But did they see the fluid in the pleural space on the x-rays?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only saw blurred X-rays, but they said it was fluid and that is why I couldn’t see clear skeletal, heart etc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m hoping he can be medicated or fluid dr
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drained

Okay so we have pleural effusion

Well they need to do an echocardiogram (heart scan) to look at heart and make sure there is no fluid in the heart sac

They should also check the abdomen

Then when they drain the fluid they need to send it for analysis

We have to find out WHY the fluid is there

Is he breathing okay now?

Gums are pink?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gums pink. When sleeping he breathes hard with his abdomen jumping hard. Normally when awake he breathes ok, not as energetic. Still plays a little. Vet was guessing heart or tumor
She said maybe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A internist can drain the fluid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that sound right I lost faith in the vet

It does not have to be an internist to drain the fluid

I have done this hundreds of times but yes IF you dont like your vet (sounds like they are not aggressive enough) then go with someone who you trust

The internist can then do the ultrasound

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** it is cureable

Me too!!

Please keep me updated over the weekend- I am here to help you

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

IF he deteriorates he may have to go to the ER clinic

Okay?

Paul

Okay good

I will look for your updates

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Very welcome

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi
Vinny is at the specialist for an ultrasound and I saved your recommendations
Thank You
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi
Update, Vet putting catheder in heart sac.
In congestive heart failure. He doesn’t send fluids out for testing, he said they are too inconclusive?
No options now, he said Vinny has better chance this way as he would not last long if it is not done. So far, the heart sac you mentioned, so maybe he is on track. Already rated you excellent.
Paul Berdoulayin Chesapeake is the surgeon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Berdoulay, sorry

Thanks for the update!

They do need to see if they can see a mass on the heart also

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** guessing when fluid is drained
Thanks

Okay

Welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help
Vinny has six liters of fluid removed
Heart sac was drained. Dr said heart should now take care of abdomen fluids without further draining. Goes back for check up on Thursday.
Hopefully he will be ok .
You have been very patient
Thanks again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FYI
Fluid in heart sac, drained 6 let’s
Didn’t send fluid
4 days later 5 cups out of heat/an area
Then sent fluid. He said only 25% of tests give accurate results
Vinny has much better appetite and energy
Specialist thinks form of cancer. No tumors found. Returns next Wed. Very frustrating already over 2500 paid out in bad diagnostics. Will get test result next Wed
Thanks Again, I am following your steps
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Litres*
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian