Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she's having a reaction to pepcid ac. Shivering,

I think she's having...

I think she's having a reaction to pepcid ac

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Shivering, some difficulty breathing, black poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Pippa, 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pippa?

It seemed to be working for her acid reflux, but suddenly stopped and she started feeling bad with the above symptoms...took her to the vet but I just realized these syptom s match pepcid reactions. The vet gave her antibiotics and pain meds unaware

3/10/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Pippa.

I am worried by your description of her. This does not sound like something we normally see from Pepcid. The black stools could be a sign of internal bleeding.

If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pink in color?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took her to the vet yesterday, her gums are pink
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the possible reactions to pepcid and black stool is one

That is good news. Is she eating?

Shivering can be a sign of pain, or fever.

Let me look that up. Pepto Bismal can cause black stools, but I have not heard that with Pepcid. One moment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We live in an island, trying to see if I need to give her bendryl or something??? For the reaction.... before we take her to a vet in Monday... I feel pretty sure it's a reaction to the pepcid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's def in not herself

I can't find black stools listed as a side effect in my drug book or my other resources. You might be thinking of Pepto Bismal?

If this is an allergic reaction, you can try Benadryl. I have used a lot of Pepcid in dogs, for many years, and have not seen this.

How long since the last dose of Pepcid? If this is a reaction, stopping it is the first thing I would do.

For the black stools, I might give Carafate but that is not available over the counter.

Can you take her temperature? Normal rectal temperature is 101.5.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you had a dog with a reaction to pepcid, how would you treat it, other than stopping the pepcid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Normal temp

I would stop the medication and treat the symptoms if they persisted. For shivering, I would take the temp and give a fever reducer if there is fever. For breathing difficulty, I would monitor gum color, listen to the heart and lungs.

For black stools I would treat with the sucralfate I mentioned.

These are the listed symptoms in dogs that have been given an over dose of Pepcid:

vomiting, restlessness, mucous membrane pallor and redness of the mouth and ears.

How much did she get and how much does she weigh?

Why was the Pepcid originally prescribed?

I am concerned she has a GI problem that is getting worse, and no longer responding to Pepcid, rather than having a reaction to Pepcid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's 6 pounds, I've been giving her 2 mg a day for 3 weeks, he's had terrible acid refux, the pepcid was working, until Thursday, then she started the symptoms...the vet yesterday couldn't figure it out, and gave her antibiotics and pain meds today I thought of the possibility of a reaction, and her symptoms match... just wanting to help her feel better until we can get to another vet, any suggestions?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We will be going to a vet on Monday for endoscopy, just wondering if we could make her more comfortable

That is a high dose for a 6 pound dog. Still, I suspect her problems are related to her undiagnosed illness, and it is good you are taking her for endoscopy.

Is she eating and drinking?
Do you have any pain medication previously prescribed for her?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Our vet said .5 mg per pound, yes she's eating and drinking

I usually give .5 mg per kg (2.2 pounds). Still, this is not a high dose, so I still do not think these symptoms are from the Pepcid; I think she has these symptoms from the illness that she has, that they want to scope her to try to diagnose.

Good her gums are pink and she is eating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing we could do.... should we give her benedryl... would that help if it we're a reaction?

If this is some kind of allergic reaction, Benadryl might help and would be safe. She would take 5 to 10 mg twice daily; the children's liquid is easiest to dose in small amounts. Do not give Benadryl D.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating; please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian