Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just threw up undigested kibble and grass. Acting a…

My dog just threw up...
My dog just threw up undigested kibble and grass. Acting a little under the weather. Has not eaten most of day. How do I know when to check with vet? He is nine month old puppy (lab) and is guilty of eating things he should not.
3/10/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Checkers.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Considering this is a Lab and a young Lab and that he eats things he shouldn't (like most Labs), the biggest concern is an obstruction, of course, when they start to vomit. Symptoms which indicate that a vet visit would be a wise move would include: persistent vomiting, continued disinterest in food (especially in a Lab!), lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

Gum color should be pale pink and moist; if blue or grey, then I wouldn't wait to have him seen. If he seems to be in respiratory distress, then I'd also not wait. I doubt if these two symptoms will develop but I wanted to mention them to be complete.

But, I do have a few suggestions which may be of benefit now:

1. Withhold water for 8-12 hours, then offer small amounts of water or pedialyte through the day.

2. Withhold food for 12-24 hours and then offer a bland diet of 1 part boiled, skinless boneless chicken breast (or lean hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount at one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food.

3. You can give Pepcid AC (Famotidine) which might help with the nausea. This is available at most human pharmacies. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day. For example, the dose for a 50 lb dog would be 10 mg twice a day.

Other options include Prilosec at a dosage of 1/2 mg/lb once a day. For example, a 50 lb dog could be given 20 mg once a day.

Zantac can be given at a dose of approximately 1 mg/lb which would be 75 mg for a 50 lb dog twice a day.

Hopefully, he's just developed a mild case of gastritis and will respond to the treatment I've outlined above but if he worsens in any way, then I'd have him seen.

I hope this helps, Deb

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. He is acting a bit lethargic, breathing and gums fine. Will hold food and water for now. Thank you.

You're welcome.

I might give him one of the drugs I mentioned and then continue to observe him, especially since he's not constantly vomiting. But, some dogs with an obstruction will just be lethargic so we can't entirely rule it out if he doesn't.

Best of luck with him, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Take care, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Glad I could help, Deb

Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Checkers. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is great! Found out later that my hubby gave him an egg roll earlier in the day. ��. Think it did not agree. I gave him 75 mg of Zantac, and he felt so much better. Eating his kibble like a billy goat again (and we’re still trying to keep him from eating anything else a billy goat might eat). Thank you so much for checking!

Thanks for taking the time to send update; glad to hear that he's doing so well.

Best of luck with keeping him out of trouble:) Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian