Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was sleeping and all of a sudden she started yelping…

She was sleeping and...

She was sleeping and all of a sudden she started yelping like something was wrong or hurting. She is walking with a limp and a little sideways. Stands up straight though. She is walking now just a little to the side. What can it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Rocsi. 11 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocsi?

Eyes are watery too, she’s always been a healthy dog.

3/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Rosci seems hurt. Can you please tell me what kind of dog Rosci is?

She’s a chihuahua

I wonder if she was having a dream and it made her move suddenly and she had a muscle spasm.

Right now she’s sleeping but I’m still concerned

If she has a sprain, she might be uncomfortable overnight. If she appears to be in a lot of pain over the weekend, however, I would get her to the vet for pain medication. Since it's a weekend, that would mean an EC (however some Banfield practices in PetSmart are open on Sundays so you could try there, too).

Can it be heart related you think.?

I'd be surprised if it were.

Small breed dogs can develop disease in their heart valves, but coughing, lethargy and perhaps some trouble breathing would be the signs I would expect with heart disease.

I would monitor her breathing and energy level for the rest of the evening, as well as her appetite.

Ok. Thanks for your time and help

You're welcome. Good luck with her, and, if I have been helpful I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a great day!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian