Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Labrador has OCD arthritis. He is 84 lbs. He is on Dasuquin…

Customer Question
Labrador has OCD arthritis...

Labrador has OCD arthritis. He is 84 lbs. He is on Dasuquin daily and Deramaxx as needs for pain vet gave 75 mg tablets and said to give one half in a 24 hour period. But he was playing in snow and has a flare up. And it is weekend , vey is gone. Can I give a whole 75 mg tablet to help with pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Riley male Labrador 3years 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

Not other the than all I already wrote

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You can, yes. Labeled dosages for deracoxib (Deramaxx) are as follows:

Control of pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis: 0.5 - 1 mg per pound of body weight once a day as needed. (42 - 84 mg once daily for Riley)

Control of post-operative pain and inflammation associated with orthopedic surgery: 1.5 - 2 mg per pound of body weight once a day as needed, not to exceed 7 days of therapy at this dose. (126 - 168 mg for Riley)

You can see that you quite a bit of leeway in dosing Riley. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

To clarify, my vet is gone for weekend. Just curious if dog can be given larger dose of Deramaxx?

Perhaps my response didn't post properly. Here's what I posted:

Please let me know if you can see the above which shows that you can give up to between 84-168 mg daily if need be.

That’s great. I did look it up and saw that I could give more. I will give another half so he’d have 75 mg today
Just wanted to be sure

Sounds good.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?