Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is lethargic and has draining eyes. He can barely…

My dog is lethargic...

My dog is lethargic and has draining eyes. He can barely keep them open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Lethargic. How old is Lethargic?

Dodger is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lethargic?

He is a beagle; he seems to have lost some weight over the past week

3/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Dodger isn't feeling well. How is his appetite? When was his last checkup?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last checkup was a year ago. He has been eating and drinking okay as far as I have noticed.

It is good that he is eating and drinking. Some causes of draining eyes are injury to the surface of the eye (corneal ulcer) with or without an eye infection. Viruses can cause eye discharge, as well, which can turn into a bacterial infection. Older dogs can develop something called keratitis sicca (dry eye), where their eyes stop producing an adequate amount of tears so that mucus builds up and is seen as yellow eye discharge. Would you be able to send me a picture of his face?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am concerned if he has distemper but he would have been up to date with all his vaccinations.

Thank you for the pictures. I am waiting for them to load.

Okay, so there isn't any discharge and he's not squinting. So that puts a corneal ulcer and bacterial infection lower on the list of things that could be going on. Sometimes when dogs don't feel well, their third eyelid will raise up, which is what you are seeing in his left eye. I am suspecting that this is not a primary eye problem. The inability to keep his eyes open but his eyes looking physically normal, in addition to the possible weight loss make me think that there is something else going on. Older dogs can develop a number of conditions that cause them to feel unwell, including diabetes, hypothyroidism, kidney and liver disease, and pancreatitis, to name only a few. I do not suspect it is distemper because he is vaccinated and also not having any eye or nasal discharge or exhibiting twitching fits, which are common with distemper.

My recommendation, since there are so many things that could be going on, is to have some lab work done. I recommend that he have a complete blood count (CBC), chemistry profile and thyroid check. A urinalysis would also be a good idea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, would you think it would be ok to wait until Monday, since the only option now is the emergency vet clinic and I don’t think he is in critical condition.

Yes, he seems stable enough that you can wait until Monday.

Good luck with him. And if I have been helpful I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I appreciate it!

You're very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian