Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20 lb, 10 year old poodle had surgery to remove a growth…

My 20 lb, 10...

My 20 lb, 10 year old poodle had surgery to remove a growth by his anus and I cannot remember the dosage I was told for me to add mineral oil to his food. I think teaspoon but I'm not sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Bingo 10 year old poodle and he's doing very well but we don't want his stools to be hard to pass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No,, I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would not add mineral oil to the food

There are much better options

I would like you to buy some colace- it is over the counter and will keep those stool very soft

Can you do that?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you but I trust my vet implicitly. This is the fourth dog we've had him care for over a good number of years. Lest you think he's behind the times, his daughter and son-in-law have joined the practice and they have been involved in Bingo's care. So, one teaspoon or one tablespoon? I have a gut feeling it's teaspoon.
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** your dog's weight 1 teaspoon of mineral oil should be enough.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. That's what I used based on the dosage for children.
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian