Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ran off a week ago, we think she may have been in heat…

She ran off a...

She ran off a week ago, we think she may have been in heat and we had no idea, she stayed close after a day or two but wouldnt come in the house and would run. about 3-4 days ago we came home early from work and we seen her laying in the back yard not moving, i was alarmed because she always wags her tail when she hears my voice, she only lifter her head as i approached her and sat down, she was breathing real heavy and i noticed a decide scrape on her ankle bone, i continues to pet her and noticed it looked like her armpit was sweating so i picked up her arm to look under and she had a massive cut, it looked like from a barbed wire fence and got hung and tore, there was no bleeding and no gashes within her muscle or anything like that, i ran and got my husband and we grabbed a blanket to try and carry her in the house on it and she screamed in pain, after about 30 minutes we finally got her inside, and got her rested on part of our couch, i cleaned the wound with peroxide and sprayed it with this purple spray thats supopsed to help keep bugs away from it. ive been doing that everyday since. i noticed the day after this her stomach was very badly protruded and bloated, she has had an appetite and will drink just fine, so we thought maybe she was constipated, i went to move the cushion off the couch and unto the floor so she could get up and potty if she was able to, as i went to adjust her where she wouldnt fall off, my hand touched her bum and there was this thickish brownish red stuff that came off on my hand, i assumed it was old blood, because it didnt smell like poop and had an old blood or iron smell.. i assumed she had some sort of internal bleeding but she wasnt bleeding profusely so i wasnt very alarmed and wanted to wait and see how she did in the morning, next morning she had pooped and i could see the old blood in one spot but the rest was regular and i saw nothing red or anything, she hadnt peed yet from my understanding, as the day goes shes fine and just rests and will try to move on her own, later on we try to move her back onto the cushion and off the floor and she starts screaming in pain again and yelping, so i put pressure on all her bones, her hips, spine, ribs and she doesnt yelp or anything and seems unbothered so that ruled out being hit by a car i think, but anytime you try to adjust her from her mid stomach and up she screams and cries. yesterday she finally peed but it was nothing but blood with one dime sized blood clot in it, and she has peed about 3 more times since i seen the first and it has been nothing but blood and smells very terrible... we dont know for sure if she was puppies or not and im very worried now that shes continuing to pee blood..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She is a 3-4 year old stray we found about 6 months ago and she had a litter of 10 pups about 3 months ago, she was pregnant when we found her

3/10/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

This does indeed sound like a very terrible experience for you to be going through, but I have to disagree with you about one thing. Based on everything you've described, I actually would be very suspicious that she's been hit by a car.

Yes, there are a few different things that could cause symptoms like this, but everything you've described fits with being hit by a car.

Regardless, you are correct to be worried. She is seriously ill/injured. Will you be able to get her to a vet?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We can take her to a vet but we dont exactly have the money to pay for the visit.. but ive been debating if she got worse,we would. And if you think she was hit by a car then im going to take her to a vet, how would we transport her if we cant get her off the floor to move her to the car? and is there anything i should do to make her more comfortable until we can get her there?

This is a tough situation to be in and my heart certainly goes out to you.

Without a doubt she absolutely needs to be seen by a vet. Perhaps there is one in your area who does house calls?

If not the best way to move her is to use a blanket like a stretcher. Sometimes it's necessary to muzzle a dog who's in severe pain so they won't be able to bite as you try to move them.

Unfortunately, there isn't really any type of home treatment that will help. It's important to avoid the temptation to use human pain relievers in pets. What she really, really needs is veterinary attention.

Again, I'm really sorry you're going through this. It sounds awful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, we will take her to the vet as soon as possible, ill call the local vet this evening and talk to them about a house call, thank you so much for your help! You helped me make a huge decision! Thank you again!

You're very welcome. I'll be hopeful you get some good news soon.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian