Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 45# English Setter managed to catch a squirrel this

My 45# ***** Setter...

My 45# ***** Setter managed to catch a squirrel this morning and now has 4 or 5 bite marks on top of his nose. I got the bleeding stopped and put some ointment on them which lasted about 10 minutes and then he was able to run it off on a throw rug. The sites are now slightly swollen but not bad and he seems a slightly bit more sleepy but otherwise fine. He had a rabies shot last March and is scheduled to see the vet again in a couple weeks. Do you think I should be even more concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Good history

Glad he was vaccinated

I think you have covered most of the bases

Is he happy and still eating and drinking?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
seems to be - wants to go looking for another squirrel!

Oh boy

Okay well I would give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound now and tomorrow AM with food

Keep the nose clean

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks.

Very welcome!

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open in case you have more questions

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Can you send me photo of him?

We lost our English setter a few years back and miss her :(

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I just got this. I looked on my computer, but my photos have disappeared. I know they were there because my 2 setters are my wallpaper and I put their picture on my debit card, so I don't understand how they are just gone! Most of my pictures are hard copy anyway so that wouldn't really help. Sorry for your loss, I had to have the older of my 2 setter put down last year too.

No worries

Thanks!

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian